Saturday, July 26, 2008

Great Indian Arranged Marriage!

The concept of a typical South Indian arranged marriage has always intrigued me. When parents are busy looking for a life partners for their children, they are entirely dependent on 1 sheet of paper - the horoscope. Once horoscopes match and other criteria are met, the families meet..more importantly, boy meets girl. This meeting lasts anywhere between an hour and a day(this happens if the both families are pretty liberal and the boy and girl hit it off pretty well). Once this is done, the boy and the girl need to think things over and accept ot reject the proposal. The deadline for this is usually a day...2 days if you get lucky.

Needless to say, I had my reservations about this system. But I knew arranged marriage was the best option...given my dashing appearance and charming nature, finding a life partner on my own was pretty much ruled out. So I signed up for this, hoping I would eventually trick some girl into saying yes. But yeah...whoever said beggars can't be choosers, needs to study the concept of the Great Indian Arranged Marriage. I got to list down the specifications regarding the type of girl I wanted to meet. My requirements were simple - I wanted somebody with professional qualifications, and with interests in some extracurricular activity. And I requested to be kept out of the process till both families were ready to meet each other...after this the decision would be only mine.

And that's how I ended up meeting Varsha. I travelled to Coimbatore and we chatted for a couple of hours. I was looking for somebody who was more outgoing than me... somebody who would not take life too seriously... somebody more childlike in nature... somebody who was passionate about some thing in life... I realised that Varsha was all this and more. And I said yes. More importantly - she said yes!!

So, I did trick somebody into saying yes....and on my first attempt! Now my days of bachelorhood are numbered.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

u smitten lil puppy!!! I am dying to meet her!

Anonymous said...

Congrats dude!!

Ashwin said...

You give me hope!!! I shall get back to you with my comments on this in a coupla years (if it happens!!!)

Karthik said...

Happy for u dude....:)

Sachin Dev T said...

one more to bite the dust!! congragulations, when do the gods start beatin the drums and blowing conch shells?

Pilani Pictures said...

Good luck!...Varsha.
;)

Vishnu Vasudev said...

Congrats da!

Anonymous said...

Congrats da! Lucky gal she is, for sure :)

gimme call if u'r in bby... lets catch up over a weekend

Anbu said...

Hi
Congrats.
Well, at the end of everything, the time tested great indian arranged marriage works... So tread without fear..

Regards
Anbu

PS. Sorry to barge in like this.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Congrats, i hope to find my mate to. you give me hope.