Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Do you believe in miracles?

April 14 - Vishu..Also Good Friday. My colleague had invited me to his house for a vegetarian lunch, specially perpared for me. I was on the way, when i came across this strange sight.




I could not resist stopping my car and taking these snaps. I learnt that every year, Mr.Nixon here (in red), undertakes a journey similar to the one Mr.Jesus was forced to go on, before his crucification. Mr.Nixon walks more than 60km, bearing a cross that weighs close to 70kg, with a real crown of thorns adorning his head. He sets out from Cochin towards Malayatoor, a famous pilgrimage spot among local Christians. This shrine is situated on top of a hillock, which can only be reached after a pretty steep climb.
The reason? Few years back, Mr.Nixon was suffering from some supposedly incurable and debilitating brain disease. He made a deal with god and agreed to undertake this strenuous journey every year, in return for complete cure. Lo and behold! The man was cured! The doctors had no explanation for this sudden cure.
Ever since, Nixon's kept his part of the deal - year after year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dei..!!!
(-sundar)

Lucaso said...

Interesting...In honor of the crucifixion...hmmmm...

http://timetolisten.blogspot.com/